Yay! Guess what today is?! The Recipe ReDux reveal day!! This is my third month participating, and I can’t tell you how much fun I’m having! Thank you, Regan, Deanna, and Serena, for coming up with these brilliant and creativity-stimulating themes!
What have you been eating mostly this month? As for me, I’m amazed I haven’t turned orange yet from consuming insane amounts of pumpkin, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potatoes…
So it’s no wonder I jumped for joy when I found out that the theme for this month is “Orange You Glad It’s Fall?” . However, I must say this was a toughie as I didn’t know which one of my favorite recipes showcasing orange foods I wanted to share. There are just way too many!
After contemplating for a while, I decided to bring out the big guns. Sweet potato stuffed crust pizza, anyone? There’s nothing more exciting and rewarding than baking bread from scratch! I just love peeking under the towel to get a glimpse of how much the dough has risen . So exciting! Yes, it is more work, and you probably can easily get your hands on some pre-made dough. However, if you have some extra time, try making it all on your own! It’s a lot of fun. For me, it’s a great stress-reliever .
Anyway, enough about the dough. Even if you don’t make your own, you MUST stuff it with sweet potatoes! And because that’s just not enough (for me anyway), slice the sweet potatoes thinly and use them as toppings as well! Shall we move on to the recipe already? You got it!
I had a really difficult time writing down this recipe as there are so many little steps involved. I did my best, but if you’re confused at all, hopefully the pictures will help make things a little more clear.
Sweet Potato Stuffed Crust Pizza
Print this recipe
Whole wheat pizza crust- adapted from this recipe. There’s also a great video! I added 1 tsp Italian seasoning and used 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (the original calls for 2 cups of whole wheat flour + 1 1/2 cups AP flour).
- If you want a thinner crust, divide the dough in half.
Pizza toppings: I did not measure closely. Just piled them on top of the prebaked dough. 1 med. sweet potato, cremini mushrooms (about 8oz), 1 med sweet onion, 2 chicken breasts, mozzarella, your fav jar of tomato or pizza sauce. Feel free to add any of your fav veggies! But remember, sweet potatoes are a must!
- Sweet potato – Cut the potato in half, and using a mandoline, slice very thinly.
- Mushrooms and mozzarella – slice thinly
- Chicken: Season with s&p and bake it in the oven at 400F for about 30 min. Shred after it cools.
- Onions: Slice thinly. Under low-med heat, add 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbs EVOO and cook for about 3o min. until nicely browned and caramelized.
For the crust: 1 med sweet potato, 2 Tbs honey, 1 Tbs EVOO
Directions: Roast or microwave until softened. Puree in the food processor until smooth. Add honey and EVOO to 1 cup of puree. Transfer to a ziploc bag, and snip a corner to create a piping bag.
- Preheat the oven at 500F.
- Once the dough is rolled out, sprinkle some cornmeal to the pizza pan (optional – for the extra crunch), place the dough on top. Pipe out the sweet potato around the rim of the dough (as uniform as possible). Be sure to leave some space at the edge in order to roll the dough over the sweet potato, creating a stuffed crust.
- Prebake for about 5 min.
- Layer the crust in this order. Sauce, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onion, chicken, cheese.
- Bake at 425 F for about 16-20 min, depending on the thickness.
Yay!! What a glorious sight!!
I sort of tore apart the top to showcase my inspiration for this dish..sweet potatoes!
Oh, hello there, my lovely sweet potato stuffed crust!
Now, I can’t wait to check out all the other creations from my wonderful fellow recipe reduxers! Believe it or not, one can never have too many orange recipes .